Thursday, November 18, 2010

An insight into our learning culture

(18th November 2010, unpublished draft)

You know, the locals (and malaysians are very similar in this case),
they love to get over and done with things without putting much effort into the thought process or whatsoever.

Their favourite lines are, "Heck care! Hantam only!", "Just smoke lar..","Just fast fast finish up then submit can liao.. Dont need to care so much wan!" etc.

Of course I am not generalizing the people here (and I am not denying Malaysians aren't any better in this case, I dont know about other SEA countries, hence, no comment on the rest).
But I think majority of us here, behave in such a way.

Today's tutorial class made me realised how shameful it is to be part of such learning culture.
I believe there're no stupid questions (though there could be lame questions) but we just fail to see that.
Fail to see that THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS in which is a huge crime in learning process!
At least, I believe so.

He maybe asking a lot of questions, you think he's being anal about lil things which in my opinion, it is not!
I think his questions make sense even though he might not be right.

It was a disgrace to witness such scene because I think if similar situation was to happen in some universities abroad, people would have 'argued' in such a way that they give constructive comments.
Instead, people here shoot you down by saying things which imply, "Com'on, stop asking questions! What's wrong with you!" and also thoughts like "We shall not ask so many questions, so that in return, you wont shoot us down when my group is presenting.."

and it was even more disgraceful because I was part of them. because i kept silence when everyone else were clapping to support the guy who shot him down. when I could have make a sound statement, voice out everything that is going through my mind. BUT i just didnt. It did not occur to me that I had to speak them out. Hence, showed how I am part of these screwed-up, nonsensical learning culture which I am not proud of.

And this. is our learning culture.

No comments: